Dust flux, Vostok ice core

Dust flux, Vostok ice core
Two dimensional phase space reconstruction of dust flux from the Vostok core over the period 186-4 ka using the time derivative method. Dust flux on the x-axis, rate of change is on the y-axis. From Gipp (2001).

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Post St. John's

The trip Newfoundland last week was great apart from the snow. You probably didn't realize that it is still winter on the Avalon Peninsula.

It really wasn't the snow so much as the continual 60 knot winds. I don't know why they don't just build 10,000 windmills there--the wind never stops.


The garden spot of the southern Avalon Peninsula, near Trepassey.

My poster presentation on recognizing innovation in geological systems largely went unrecognized. Not exactly an overwhelming response, but due to overflow I was placed outside of the main poster area, where I mostly talked to my neighbour and his students/associates. I think that each of us had about only one paying customer.

This wasn't the worst setting I've had but it was up there. I remember at AGU several years ago being placed in a room with one other presenter, and during the entire session not a single other soul entered the room. We spent the entire time chatting. Bad as it was for me, the other fellow was J. Rial, who was already fairly well known in the field.

1 comment:

  1. Any chance of posting the poster?

    Everything I (mis-)know about Newfoundland I learned from "The Shipping News" and "The Bird Artist," but I know that my sample size is small. Oh, and fictitious -- that's probably important too!

    ReplyDelete